REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
FOR IMPROVEMENTS TO THE WATER TREATMENT FACILITY
Purpose of Proposal
The City of Independence, Kansas is seeking assistance for engineering services to complete design and construction management for improvements to the water treatment facility. The firm selected will be responsible for design services, preparation of plans and specifics, bidding the project and providing construction administration and inspection services.
Historical Overview of the Independence Water Treatment Plant
Construction of the Independence Water Treatment plant was completed in 1913. The last major renovation of the facility was completed in 1968 which included the clarifier, main building, filters, chemical feed, raw water intake and high service pump. In 1997 the high service pump station was upgraded. In 2015 the chemical feed was upgraded from dry to liquid alum. In 2016 the filter control panels and SCADA (Phase I) were upgraded.
The proposed work includes the following:
- Electrical improvements, including new motor control center, stand by generation and electrical service.
- Upgrades of SCADA system
- Phase I previously completed
- Software upgrade
- New computers
- Control panels replaced for four filters
- Phase II not yet completed
- Control panels to be replaced for the remainder of the system
- Improvements to settling basin via pneumatically placed concrete or similar methods.
- Security of the facility in compliance with EPA regulations.
- Addition of breakroom and shower facility.
- Engineer Responsibilities
The consultant selected will be responsible for working with a citizen task force, City Commission and City staff during design and construction phases of the project. The general tasks include the following:
Design and Preparation of Plans and Specifications
- Preparation of construction plans and specifications.
- Plans will be prepared for a conceptual phase, preliminary check, and final check and will be reviewed with KDHE.
- As each phase and check is approved, the subsequent checks will build upon the approved design.
- Preparation of construction documents and contracts.
- Preparation of estimated construction cost and total project cost.
- All documents must meet KDHE requirements and receive KDHE approval.
- Assist the City in applying for a low interest loan from the KDHE revolving loan fund.
- The engineer will conduct a pre-bid conference.
- The engineer will prepare advertisement for receipt of bids and send out bid notices and documents.
- The engineer will be available to answer questions of potential bidders relating to the project specifications.
- The engineer will analyze the bids received and make a written recommendation on awarding the bid.
- All bidding procedures will be in accordance with KDHE procedures.
- Assist the City in making recommendations for Award, and in preparing and executing the Contract documents.
- Administer the contract on behalf of the City.
- Review with City staff and approve all shop drawings and material certifications required to be submitted by the contractor.
- Assist the City with the review and approval of Pay Requests, Change Orders and Requests for Information.
- Prepare all change orders and supplements necessary for construction of the project.
- Provide inspection services as necessary to ensure the work performed by the contractor meets all plans, specifications and KDHE requirements. Engineer project inspectors shall retain documentation of the project construction as required by KDHE.
- Prepare construction progress estimates and payments to the contractor.
- Assist the City in preparing documentation to provide to KDHE for project draw down requests.
- Conduct a final review of the project area and submit a written report indicating the acceptance of the project for the project close out.
10. Assist the City in preparing materials required by KDHE, including the Preliminary Plan of Operation, Final Plan of Operation and Maintenance Manual.
Required Information to be included in Engineer Submittal
If you are interested in working with the City to perform the engineering services for the upgrades to the City’s Water Treatment Plant please provide the following information:
- Firm name, address, phone number, fax number and e-mail address.
- Any other names that the firm has utilized in the past.
- Year firm was established.
- Explanation of the specialized and technical experience to accomplish the proposed scope of work.
- Name of principals of firm who will be responsible for the project and their experience on similar projects.
- Name of key personnel who may be assigned to this project; state their experience on similar projects and how long they have been with the firm.
- Regarding outside consultant(s) which may be utilized to perform specialized services which are beyond the scope of your firm, state the name of the firm(s) or individual(s) and their experience.
- List similar completed water treatment plant upgrades type project which the firm has been involved with and the project cost.
- Indicate based on examples how well the firm has met its schedule for previous projects.
10. Current projects underway and the estimated cost of each.
11. Any recommendations concerning other work items or services required that should be included within a scope of work to accomplish this project.
12. Indicate a range of fees to accomplish the identified work to include a listing of the hourly rates which would include cost of overhead and reimbursable expenses. The cost of printing all documents will be the responsibility of the engineer.
13. Provide a list of references on similar type projects indicating a contact person and their address and phone numbers.
14. The time you would be available to commence work on this project.
15. Based on the proposed scope of work your estimated time to complete all work up to and including the receipt of bids for this project (as part of the selection process the City will consider the time required by the consultant to complete all work through the bidding process).
Prior to submitting your statement of qualifications, you may wish to have an opportunity to tour the Independence Water Treatment Plant. If so then please contact Kelly Passauer, Assistant Manager at or (620) 332-2506 and a site visit will be scheduled. Plans developed for the 1968 upgrades are available for review.
The proposal should be submitted by May 18, 2017 by 2 p.m.:
Kelly Passauer, Assistant City Manager
City Manager's Office
811 W. Laurel Street
Independence, KS 67301
At least seven (7) hard copies and one (1) pdf copy shall be provided.